The Ring

"Show to Elizabeth teacher!" Ann was whispering, but I still heard her as I entered the other end of the room. 


"Oh! Where..." Peter dug through his backpack. Unfortunately, he found what he was looking for. 


As we started our morning routine, Peter waited patiently, uncharacteristically calm and quiet. Once we reached a point where I was accepting questions, his hand shot into the air. I stalled, calling on a few others first. Eventually, I had to pick him.


"Yes, Peter?" His face cracked into a ridiculous grin and his hand opened to show his prized possession.


"RING!!" he shouted. And with that he was out of his chair, charging straight at me. He grabbed my hand and tried to pry apart my fingers. 


"Just one time!" he insisted. Maybe I should have played along, but I didn't. Letting this infatuated 6-year old slip a ring on my finger could've haunted me for a long time. 


It seems his mom let Peter borrow her school ring "just one day," and I bet money she knew why he wanted it. He's been talking for weeks about getting me a wedding ring. He and Ann even made a paper ring for me earlier. 


Peter tried throughout the day to get that ring on one of my fingers. Sadly for him, he did not succeed. I'm hopeful that he won't be able to bring any jewelry tomorrow. I'm not silly enough, however, to think this will be the end of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yeti

Graphite Chopsticks

Pandas