Un-ni

Between my house and the subway station, there is a small bakery. I stop there sometimes...mainly for mocha bread. When I went in a couple weekends ago, a new girl was working.


"Helloooo!!" I rarely am greeted in English and, with the exception of a few pre-kinder kids, no one sounds that excited when they see me. She asked the usual questions about where I'm from, informed me that English is very hard, and picked out an extra pastry for me. 

"Service-uh," she said as she stuffed it in my purse. That's Korean for "this one is free." 

Sunday morning I stopped again for mocha bread and a coffee. Same worker, same enthusiastic greeting. Well, possibly more enthusiastic. She even remembered my name! I realize I don't exactly blend in here, but I still thought it impressive that she remembered my name.

Among other things, she established that she is my "big sister." In Korea, you are friends with people who are the same age as you. Also, you are more respectful toward people older than you. In a friend-type relationship with someone older, they are your older brother (oppa) or older sister (un-ni). 

We chatted a bit more, waited for my coffee, and then I was on my way - with my mocha bread and latte, a free chocolate chip muffin, and a new un-ni.

Comments

  1. so sweet! did you like the chocolate bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. chocolate bread with chocolate chunks and dunked in chocolate. how could I possibly NOT like that??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time Zones

Graphite Chopsticks

Shake