Now That I Know (1)

I'm sure this isn't unique to me, but I've learned so many things that would have been nice to know when I first arrived in Korea (or before I arrived). So, since everyone who moves to Korea in the future will stop by this blog first, I'm going to share those things that residents may not think to tell you right away...



If someone cuts in front of you, spits where you're walking, or burps while passing you, don't take offense. The definition of "rude" is different here, and the sooner you can learn that the better. 

You can put up to a few hundred thousand won on your T-Money card, but you're better off reloading small amounts more often. There's always the possibility of losing it ... or messing up the (very simple) reload process, freezing your card, and losing your money.

Before buying laundry soap, find out what in the world a laundry detergent container should look like. Otherwise, there's a fair chance you'll go through several loads before discovering you've been washing you're clothes in fabric softener.

There are no top sheets in Korea. 

Good luck learning your address. If you're working for a school, have people back home send things to your school's address.

Before heading to E-Mart for you first massive purchase of essentials, make sure you have a 100W coin. You're going to need it to unlock a shopping cart. 

Shop according to your means of transportation. If you don't know how to tell a taxi driver where to drop you off, don't buy more than you're willing to haul home via subway.

When you walk out of HomePlus with a drying rack and half a dozen bags, everyone who sees you will know you're the newest foreigner in town.

Speaking English in a cab triples your odds of being ripped off. Expect a longer ride.

If you want your shower water to stay hot for more than 60 seconds, don't turn it on full blast. Get used to either low water pressure or cold showers.

      Comments

      1. Never buy too much at once when using public transportation!! 3 hours later, your back will thank you! And don't begrudge the freezing showers. Many a folk believe it is excellent for blood circulation aka nice looking healthy skin.

        ReplyDelete
      2. I love reading about the manners and such of different countries. The E-Mart thing reminds me of going to Aldi's. You need to have a quarter to get a cart.
        -JILL

        ReplyDelete
      3. I do remember that from Aldi. Back then I thought that was the coolest thing, but it never entered my mind that I'd be doing that on the other side of the world.

        I'm pretty sure freezing showers cause my blood to stop circulating... :)

        ReplyDelete
      4. Haha :) Great advice Liz!! I'd never thought of a few of those things being weird this time around so I didn't remember to tell you :) Hey, a kind of fun website you might like that has a list of things you might say/feel that proves you've been in Korea a long time...http://www.flickr.com/photos/torchcrooner/3369579311/

        ReplyDelete

      Post a Comment

      Popular posts from this blog

      Time Zones

      Graphite Chopsticks

      Shake