Grace

Today was not my favorite. It consisted of class observation and the threat of unannounced observation. Really, it wasn't all that awful. But at the end of work, I walked away with a mental recording of everything that went wrong and a bit of befuddlement over why in the world even the good kids act up when a visitor is present. 


But that's not my reason for posting. 


I walked into my first class this morning and one of my girls ran right into me. 
"Teacher, here!" she yelled as she shoved an envelope at me. I took the sticker-sealed envelope and thanked the her. I couldn't tell you if she heard me; she was already halfway back to her seat. 
I opened the envelope at break. Inside was a pink pen, a pink fold-out ruler, and a sheet of paper. On one side was a drawing of a girl (possibly me?) and on the other side was a note:
Elizabeth teacher,
Thank you for teaching me and loving me.
Love, Grace


Given the other events of the day, I'd nearly forgotten about Grace's envelope. But now, as I'm finishing up Thursday, this is what I remember most about the day. Not the intimidating, stress-inducing, note-taking adults. Not the things I messed up or the kids who acted up. I remember the hand-drawn picture and letter from one of my 6-year olds.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time Zones

Graphite Chopsticks

Shake