Recap: Week Two

My school has a birthday party each month. This week, we had the birthday party for December students. One of my girls has a December birthday. However, before and after her birthday, she is still six years old. In this country, the day you are born you are one year old. Your age changes on Lunar New Year. Typically everyone celebrates together, but we had to stay in our classrooms this time (swine flu fears). Conveniently, the birthday party happened during the class that I enjoy the least.

Georgia lives about a few hours south of me in Jeonju. Friday after school, I took the subway to the Express Bus Terminal and then rode 2 ½ on the bus. This little trip was my first time (1) on the subway alone, (2) on a bus of any sort, (3) nearly buying a ticket for the wrong city, (4) attempting to use a pay phone, (5) ordering a Dunkin’ Donuts espresso beverage, (6) watching 2 ½ hours of completely Korean TV, (7) seeing snow in Korea (all weekend long!), (8) having enough internet to use Skype, (9) meeting anyone from South Africa, (10) attending a wedding in Korea, (11) going to a movie here, and (12) going to church here.  


I don’t believe I’ve ever gone to a wedding for two people I’ve never met, but Georgia insisted it was fine. This one was a church wedding between a Korean and a Wyoming-an, so it wasn’t quite traditional. It was cool to see the combination of Korean and American elements. These people clearly were geniuses, because the reception was held at a coffee shop.


The movie we saw was an American one with Korean subtitles (I guess that’s really common). The only problem was when the characters spoke non-English and the subtitles still were only in Korean. I also went to church with Georgia. I think she said her church has five services, including one English service. I’ll let you guess which one I attended.


I would tell you what foods I ate this weekend, but I don’t know what most were called. A few items were dried squid, a spicy noodle dish with ribs, rice!, a different noodle dish with a flavor I can never hope to describe, pickled radish, pickled potato, kimchi (of the cabbage and radish varieties), and chamchi kimbap. The kimbap I’ve had is veggies and egg and rice all wrapped in seaweed. Chamchi kimbap is the same thing but with tuna too. Sounds weird at first but tastes sooo good!




start of the snow on the way to Jeonju

Comments

  1. 1-12 in one weekend.. awesome! Keep a list of good foods Jill and I need to try next month.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time Zones

Graphite Chopsticks

Now That I Know (1)