Brothers

Me: What people are in your family?
Robin: Older brother, older brother...
Me: How many brothers do you have?
Robin: Two. No... four. 
Me: What are their names?
Robin: (pause) No names. 
Me: No names or no English names?
Robin: No English.
Me: Ok, what are their Korean names? Older brothers first.
He tells me a name, and I put up one finger. Then he says some more Korean, so I put up a second finger. He pushes it back to my palm. 
Me: Who else?
Robin rattles off some more syllables, and I put up a second finger again. 
Me: And who else?
More Korean. But again, when I try to put up a third finger, he pushes it down. 
Me: So...hmm. Two older brothers?
Robin: Yes.
Me: And you have younger brothers. Who are they? 
Robin: Younger brother, baby brother...
Me: How many younger brothers? 
Robin: Two.
Me: So, two older brothers and two younger brothers? How many brothers all together?
Robin: Many.
Me: How many?
Robin: I have seven brothers. 
Me: ...seven ...? 
Robin: (laughs) Yes. Very many.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time Zones

Graphite Chopsticks

Now That I Know (1)