Visitors and Stylists

My parents are here!! I feel like a tourist now... 7 months late. It's kinda cool though; it's a different perspective of the city than usual. And it's quite nice to have family around to be touristy with you. 

I took the subway home tonight and decided to get off at a different station. I NEVER get of there. But I figured, by the time I caught the transfer and walked home, I'd arrive about the same time. Plus, getting off at a different stop meant a change of scenery. 

As I was passing a line-up of street food vendors, a lady tapped my shoulder. She pointed somewhere across the street and asked, "Hae-aw een lau-buh?" I quickly put on my puzzled face as I removed my headphones and replied, "What?"

"Hae-aw een lau-buh," she repeated. 

Ahh. I nodded, thrilled and relieved that I understood. My last haircut was at the salon across the street. It's got a stellar Konglish name. (Look back at what the lady said to me and read it quickly. Out loud. I'm serious. I hope someone hears you.)  

The salon name? Hair in Love.

"You cut your hair?" the lady asked me.

"Yes! I did!" And then she gestured to one of her friends, who just so happened to be the guy who cut my hair. 

"Hello," he said as we had an awkward half bow, half handshake moment. This is what happens when a Korean goes for the Western greeting and the Westerner tries the Korean greeting. I hope it looks as entertaining as it feels.

His English is limited, and my Korean is nearly non-existent, so our conversation was brief. We at least established that they would see me again. (Sorry, Aveda. I can't remember where you are, and this place is so close to home.) And then our group of four said our goodbyes and parted in three directions. 

I know I don't look Korean, but I forget sometimes how much I stand out. It makes me wonder how often I pass other people who recognize me. I have a feeling my stylist would have been to shy to say something if his friend hadn't done it. It's a good reminder that I should always be the same person (and to not have nasty hair when walking near that salon). You never know who is watching. 


P.S. Did I mention my parents are in Seoul?!

Comments

  1. Showing parents around is the best! Glad you're finally getting to play the tourist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun! And this is why I do full incognito some days....

    They see you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your parents loved being in Seoul and getting to visit with you. Thank you for a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time Zones

Graphite Chopsticks

Shake