JaeYoung

Holly and I set out to find Aveda today. It took a while, since the one for which we had directions didn't seem to exist anymore. But Holly knows everything and, a few subway stops later, we were at a different Aveda.

I know I'm in Korea. I know that. But my brain still has this notion that, at a place like Aveda, people will speak English. Not so, my friend. However, these non-English speakers were fabulous. They brought us tea, loaded us up with fashion books and hair color samples, and whisked away Holly's purse to be locked in a safe place. I think they thought I was just accompanying Holly. So while while they started with her, I got a free foot massage. Korea is full of wonderful free stuff.

Aveda has an online aide for Korean/English conversations. However, this didn't prove useful enough for Jae Young, the poor guy who was trying to figure out what in the world I wanted done with my hair. After an extended period of confusing questions and confusing answers and nervous laughter, he put back the laptop and disappeared into a back room. He returned armed with a big hairstyler's Korean/English phrase book. Judging by the reactions from the rest of the staff, most didn't know such a book existed. So he found the page he wanted a pointed to a line which read, "May I suggest a style for you?" I nodded enthusiastically, he let out a sigh of relief, half a dozen Koreans giggled, and soon we were off for a haircut. 

Haircut conversation highlight: 
Jae Young: "Where you from?"
Me: "America" 
Jae Young: "USA?" 
Me: "Yes" (and then I kick myself for not using one of the few Korean words I know)
Jae Young: "I'm from Korea." He made me laugh and he cracked himself up. Fortunately, no scissors were near my head.

By the time we finished, I almost felt like a celebrity. I think three people worked on my head. While not washing or drying my hair, one of them browsed the Korean/English book and tried out phrases. I never did figure out the part where she asked if I saw "Twilight" and "Avatar." She told me something about vampires and then said confidently, "I am the same." So ... maybe I met a vampire tonight.

While we paid (only $16 for me!), a bunch of the staff gathered by the door. As we turned to leave, they all bowed and said "gamsahamnida!" I think I even heard "thank you" in English. I didn't see them do that for any Korean customers. Have I mentioned I love Korea? I especially love the people who go way out of their way to communicate with this foreigner who can't speak their language. We're going to learn an amazing amount of Korean before we go back in 5 or 6 weeks. 

Comments

  1. There definitely are good foreigner days! Where's the pic of the hair?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Graphite Chopsticks

Time Zones

Shake